Open Thread: Share your thoughts about #Tweetasound!

The SoundBox Team was completely blown away by the unique and creative submissions to #Tweetasound last Thursday. Our collaborators from around the country and yes, the globe, composed and/or shared more than 100 total audio files!  If you weren’t able to follow along, or if you want to hear some of the wonderful recordings again, this storify includes the vast majority of the conversations and contributions.

When we dreamed up the idea of #Tweetasound, we hoped to be surprised by the results and we were not disappointed. Because we wanted the experience of tweeting in sound to feel as constrained as writing in 140 character does, we decided to impose a few limits like a 12-second rule. We also didn’t want it to feel tedious to listen to so many recordings. I think the constraints worked very well in that respect but I must admit that I ignored this rule at times, particularly when linking to already existing sonic content on the web.

Initially nervous about what to share, I ultimately felt really liberated by using the new form. I felt it was suddenly possible to communicate about things that would be very uninteresting in text. For example, @stephceraso tweeted the sounds of a flock of geese. Had she simply written “flock of chatty geese” I likely would have been uninterested. But, to be sitting in my home listening to this noisy clamour, I felt completely transported and excited about the possibilities of attention and discovery through listening. Birds were a big theme overall, which seemed fitting given the grammar of Twitter, which we had also visually punned on in our initial call:

The editorial team from SoundingOut! Blog chose to document their day in audio by recording and submitting 12 seconds every hour, on the hour, during the work day. You can listen to examples from Editor-in-Chief, Jennifer Stoever-Ackerman here. The team’s Managing Editor, Liana Silva @literarychica also offered editor’s picks from the blogs audio archive, like this one. Robin James (@doctaj) also followed a theme throughout the day, offering sounds she describes as “Semiotics of the Kitchen.” Inspired by performance artist, Martha Rossler, these delightful recordings feature the sound of a single culinary item, such as an apron, an egg, or a pizza cutter (for “P”). You can listen to her audio-project in progress here.

There were so many incredible sounds produced and a range of methods and software and hardware employed, so I will stop for now and simply invite you to join me in reflecting on what happened during the experiment (whether you were able to participate or not!). We welcome your insight into #tweetasound, great or small. From deep intellectual conclusions to recommendations for social media apps, please pipe up. We thank you all so much for your willingness to participate and for your inspiring creativity and generosity.

But first, here is a recording that Whitney, Darren, and I made during lunch on #tweetasound day. If this is any indication, your continued noise-making is welcome! I have heard from several people who were busy on the day of the event. Please feel free to continue to use the #tweetasound hashtag when you feel like making some noise. We are excited to think about how to develop an interactive digital archive that would continue to document this experiment.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/61949640″ iframe=”true” /]