bastidores-2On April 8, Professor Louise Meintjes will moderate a discussion including artist Rosana Paulino, scholar Emi Koide, and curator Cabriela Salgado. Rosana Paulino’s art foregrounds the position of black people, especially black women, in Brazilian society. Paulino stated: “As a black woman myself, I question my role within a society that has suffered through slavery. My intention is to investigate the marks that slavery planted on the black female body and soul, and on Brazilian society.” Emi Koide’s research concentrates on contemporary art in Congo. She will compare films that critique social and ethnographic approaches, including the polemic film by artist Renzo Martens Episode II: Enjoy Poverty (2008). Gabriella Salgado will present her ongoing exchange project Transatlantic Connections, which investigates the historical precedents and potentialities of the interaction between Africa and Latin America in the visual arts, and highlights the foundational dialogues that originated in the encounter between millions of Africans, Europeans, and Amerindians in the Americas.

Additional information