- This event has passed.
Feminist Strike is coming! : The March 8th Uprising in the Spanish State (2018-2019) – dialogue
March 4 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Join the Social Movements Lab to discuss the upcoming 2019 Feminist Strike in Spain, as well as the challenges and accomplishments of the 2018 feminist strike. We will have a ‘mapping’ session on Wed. 02/27 and a ‘dialogue’ session on Mon. 03/04, facilitated by a Ph.D student at Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Lucía Hellín Nistal, and by Duke Social Movement Lab Fellow, Elia Romera Figueroa.
On the 8th of March, 2018, Spain joined many other countries worldwide during the International Women’s Strike. This day, known now as 8M, has become a landmark in Spanish social and feminist history since it represents its first Women’s Strike nationwide. The discussion will address how this day was experienced, with a special focus on the university movement. The speaker will talk about some of the main achievements of the feminist movement in Spain, such as the public outreach of feminist debates and the rising class-consciousness within the movement. One year later, the feminist movement is getting ready to strike again. We will address the way the movement has organized and evolved and what new objectives have been set for this year’s strike.
This conversation aims to discuss Spain’s feminist movement’s peculiarities, and to establish connections with two events the Lab organized last year: The discussions with Prof. Veronica Gago about Ni una menos in Argentina and with Prof. Enrica Rigo about Non una di meno in Italy.
We will have two events on the Feminist Strikes in Spain:
1) A ‘mapping’ session in preparation for the Monday dialogue on Wed., February 27th, 2019 – 12:00pm to 1:00pm.
2) A ‘dialogue’ with a visitor from Spain on Monday, March 4th, 2019 – 12:00pm to 1:00pm
Speaker: Lucía Hellín Nistal (Universidad Autónoma de Madrid)
Event organizer: Elia Romera Figueroa (Social Movement Lab Fellow)
In preparation for our discussion:
- Please read:
- the 8M Manifesto – http://hacialahuelgafeminista.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Manifiesto-8M-estatal-ENG.pdf
- “The 2018 Women’s Strike in Spain: An Ongoing Struggle against Gender Oppression” – https://www.e-ir.info/2018/05/04/the-2018-womens-strike-in-spain-an-ongoing-struggle-against-gender-oppression/
For further reading:
- Check out the online platform (in particular the “international” section) – http://hacialahuelgafeminista.org/international/
Free lunch will be provided for participants.
Lucia Hellin Nistal is a Ph.D student in Literary Studies at Autonomous University of Madrid (UAM) and is a spokesperson of the international women’s organization “Pan y Rosas”.
Elia Romera Figueroa is a Ph.D student at the Romance Studies Department at Duke University and a Fellow at the Social Movement Lab.